Apple released the latest version of the iPhone firmware last week. The iPhoneWriter.com team successfully upgraded last night, and we've been enjoying it ever since. Here's the high-level steps we followed:
- First, we downloaded the latest Apple iPhone Firmware. We downloaded ours from here, but you can certainly use other sources you trust.
- Second, we downloaded the latest PWNage Tool for our platform. Since we use a Mac, we downloaded ours from here but once again, you can use whatever source your heart desires.
- Next, we installed the PWNage Tool into our Applications folder, and launched the program. Selecting the 'Expert Mode' option, we stepped through the interface to create a custom version of the Apple iPhone Firmware we downloaded in Step One.
- Once the Custom Firmware bundle was successfully created, we closed the PWNage Tool, connected our Apple iPhone to the computer, and launched Apple iTunes program.
- Within Apple iTunes, we used the OPTION+CLICK technique to click the 'Restore' button. We then located the Custom Firmware bundle we created in Step Four and let nature run its course. That's it!